Most of us know the benefits of movement for overall health. Can’t deny that fact. If you move what you’ve got, your body functions better with greater circulation, oxygenation, waste removal, maximum use of fuel and increased opportunity for wellness.
Here’s a trickle down economic that actually works: movement nutrition for your body is also fabulous for your skin. So join me as we walk and talk it out.
I’m always impressed with ya badasses and the sports y’all get up to: boxing, tai chi, yoga yoga yoga, Barry’s, peleton and more. Now, I’d like to make a radical suggestion: add walking to your self-care.
“Just walking?” I can hear you say … and yes, your ol’ CrossFit lovin’ esthetician is suggesting “just walking.” Here’s why:
- Getting in an hour-long walk gives you a terrific fitness base and will build your stamina, condition your heart and lungs and strengthen your legs.
- Just 15 minutes of walking after eating majorly improves digestion and lowers blood sugar levels
- 1 hour * 3 days a week will help you reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
- From my friends at BarBend, one of my fave weightlifting sites: “Fitting in a few 45-minute strolls per week — especially at a pace of, say, three or four miles an hour — is one of the smartest things you can do for your joints, immune system, heart, brain, and a lot more.”
- 10,000 steps might be your goal but there is good evidence that 7,000 steps can give you major benefits. And even 4,000 will work in a pinch!
I can still feel some resistance from my fellow *go hard or go home* friends and I get it. But hear me out: we train to recover. Recovery is where the building actually takes place. Thusly, one reason to walk = excellent active recovery! Here’s how walking might help you train more efficiently:
- The equipment-free, simply elegant process of putting one foot in front of the other initiates a blood exchange between your lower limbs and your heart, promoting lymph movement and drainage, clearing out waste in your ankles and feet.
- This blood flow and waster removal will help you bounce back better, reduce stiffness and prevent/mitigate DOMS (if you don’t know what DOMS is, I love and envy you!)
- Walking gently loads your joints and muscles, but doesn’t load your nervous system … in fact, this daily brain medicine (ie walking) can help reduce mental and emotional stress allowing you peace of mind and more restful sleep.
And while I’m always focused on helping you love the skin you’re in, walking is wonderful for your overall wellbeing and state of mind. Oh, before I forget, it also improves your memory!
It really is that simple: if you can walk, you should walk … and probably more. Your esthetician also wants you to be aware of your surroundings; headphones can be tricky.
And: Use Protection! For daytime hikes, drink your Sun Defense Elixir, apply SPF and wear a hat. Use SPF on those rubbing zones to prevent chafing, too. Take your whistle and mace. Better yet, grab a friend and go! I’m always up for a walk & talk.